17 - 21 Sep 2012
Length: 5 days
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Given the insecure and often rapidly changing environments in which aid agencies work, safety and security management is not an optional extra.
This five-day intensive course will enable participants to identify the key requirements for managing security in complex emergencies and conflict zones by practicing essential techniques in risk management, security assessment and crisis response. The course draws on field case studies, the current humanitarian environment and the security management practices used by humanitarian bodies internationally.
The content of the course is aligned to the National Occupational Standards (UK) in Security Management as well as the InterAction Minimum Operating Security Standards and builds on the ECHO Security Training Modules.
What does the course cover?
- Environment scanning
- Threat, vulnerability and risk assessment
- Application of risk standards and models
- Incident response, analysis, reporting and information management
- Security strategies, policy and planning
- Skills and resources required to implement a security plan
- Crisis management
- Operational continuity
- Team management through security programming
- Psycho-social support
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of key security management skills and their use in relation to setting and achieving programme goals when managing humanitarian emergencies
- Work effectively in reviewing and enhancing security management practice and procedures in the field
- Evaluate personal performance and that of others in relation to security in emergencies
- Communicate effectively to different audiences in the field of humanitarian practice using appropriate media
Who should attend?
This course is appropriate for staff with responsibility for security and security management including security managers, field programme managers, HQ staff in risk management, and other staff with a strategic or organizational responsibility for security. It is specifically aimed at those who are preparing to be deployed to insecure areas.
Available in English.
Prices are per person, per day.
||US $100 or Ksh 8,500
*This is a residential course. Fees are inclusive of accommodation.
Funded by the European Commission's Humanitarian Aid department.
Return to listing