RedR UK and the work we do
Every year, hundreds of millions of people around the world are affected by natural disasters and conflict. RedR UK is an international disaster relief charity which saves lives by giving aid workers the vital skills they need to do their jobs to the highest possible standard. RedR UK provides training and technical support to NGOs and thousands of people each year in everything from providing emergency shelter to staying safe in the field, from project management after emergencies to essential water and sanitation skills and more.
RedR UK is also a Membership organisation, with a global network of 1,800 Members, all of whom are experienced humanitarian professionals. The RedR UK Membership is a mark of quality, enabling aid workers to obtain professional recognition of their skills and experience.
RedR has hubs in the UK, Sudan and Jordan, and works in over 40 countries each year. RedR UK is part of RedR International, an international federation of organisations that share a common vision and mission.
RedR UK is committed to a strong, positive culture, with benefits for staff and those with whom we work. Our culture is also important to us in terms of our ethic of humanitarian impartiality and neutrality and our compliance with the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS) and other professional codes of conduct.
Our values are vitally important to us as individuals, teams and to RedR UK as a whole. We are committed to a continuous process of strengthening our culture, maintaining the high standards required to work together effectively, and delivering first class advice and service to those with whom we work.
About this role
The Business Operations Manager will ensure that RedR is a great place to work through the effective and efficient running of the organisation. The role will cover a number of operational functions including HR, ICT service management, facilities management, health and safety, quality assurance, compliance and business continuity planning as well as supporting RedR’s CEO in Board and AGM administration.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and administer new staff recruitment, onboarding and induction process, ensuring compliance with employment law in countries in which RedR operates.
- Update HR policies, procedures, templates, manuals and induction packs in relation to both employees and contractors and respond to employees’ questions and queries.
- Advise the CEO on HR issues.
- Administer the workplace pension scheme, the Employee Assistance Programme, the cycle scheme, staff travel loans and any other staff benefits.
- Ensure that personnel information is managed and stored appropriately, and that staff absence and TOIL are recorded appropriately.
- Undertake the induction of staff on equipment and systems provided by RedR, such as phones, IT and software packages such as Office 365 and Salesforce
- Devise and maintain innovative approaches to attract and retain the best possible talent and coordinate L&D for RedR staff.
- Coordinate and participate in any disciplinary or complaints processes.
- Support the monthly preparation and update of payroll information.
- Manage organisational change management processes, ensuring they are undertaken in the most effective, efficient and considerate manner.
- Produce HR information for quarterly report to the Board of Trustees
- Lead on the development of the RedR values strategy and ensure that it is aligned with the business model and new RedR strategy.
CEO and Company Secretary Support
- Support quarterly board meetings by maintaining the diary of meetings, organising venue and refreshments, compiling and circulating papers.
- Minute taking at board meetings and strategy days at the request of the Board Chair.
- Ensure that the trustee induction pack is up to date and coordinate inductions for new trustees
- Maintain Trustee information and data register of directors/secretaries.
- Liaise with RedR US lawyers to comply with registration requirements.
- Assist with administration regarding RedR International requirements
- Liaise with the board of trustees to conduct CEO 360 feedback with staff for the CEO appraisal.
- Undertake other tasks reasonably requested by the CEO or Company Secretary
Facilities Management and Office Administration
- Managing corporate mailboxes, post, courier and archiving services
- Undertake SharePoint and Salesforce administration
- Manage compliance with GDPR, anti-bribery, first aid health and safety and fire safety.
- Ensure all office facilities are maintained to a good quality standard and that office supplies are available
- Procure, manage and review contracted services such as phones, websites, computers, laptops, printers and copiers, as well as outsourced service providers such as finance, IT, database, telecoms graphic design, marketing etc., problem-solving any issues that arise.
- Liaise with the outsourced IT support on the development of the IT infrastructure, including the security of data and protection from cyber-attacks.
- Coordinate reviews and revisions of RedR’s operational procedures
- Manage RedR’s insurance requirements
- Manage the office management budget
- Manage employee communications
- Provide the CEO and the Board with regular updates on the unit’s activities and achievements as required
- Serve as Security Duty Officer, responsible for the RedR security phone for periods of seven days at a time, dealing with security concerns and incidents that arise and raising these as necessary
- Project manage any new operations and one-off projects i.e. moves, reconfiguration, business continuity planning and testing, managing the relationship with landlord, their agent and logistics for any office moves
- Line Manage the Administrator, in coordination with the Programmes Transition Director and Head of Partnerships
- All employees are required to adhere to RedR's values of collaboration, excellence, lifelong learning, integrity and accountability.
- Undertake other tasks as reasonably requested by the CEO.
- Strong analytical skills and previous experience of reviewing and developing HR policies and procedures.
- Systematic and efficient, including an ability and willingness to prioritise, manage and complete a variety of tasks
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to liaise confidently with different stakeholders
- Numerate with the ability to manage and monitor budgets, evaluate quotes and check invoices
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively on a variety of tasks, to tight deadlines, with minimal supervision
- Using initiative and being proactive, with a problem-solving approach to challenges
- Flexible and adaptable approach as part of small organisation
- A commitment to humanitarian principles, and the mission and values of RedR
- Good working knowledge and previous experience of working in H&S, including policies, procedures and legal compliance.
- CIPD qualified HR professional
- Previous experience of working in the international humanitarian or development sector
- Project Management experience
- Experience of facilities or premises management to include telecoms, equipment, liaising with contractors, leases.
- An interest in Learning and Development
- Ability to work flexible hours - occasionally in the evenings.
- Understanding of good practice in health and safety in an office environment
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- Current UK Driving Licence
How to apply:
Email a CV and covering letter demonstrating your reasons for applying and suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may contact suitable applicants before the closing date.