Looking to start your career in the humanitarian sector? This role will not only provide you with valuable experience but will also facilitate your professional and personal development with the possibility of attending relvant RedR courses and talks. You will work closely with the Membership and Associates Coordinator, and the Communications Coordinator, to plan and facilitate specific events and activities for RedR members, and the wider humanitarian community.
This is an unpaid position. However, RedR will reimburse lunch expenses up to £5 a day and reasonable travel expenses up to £13. The internship is for 2-3 days per week (up to 21 hours) for a duration of 3-6 months (1 month probationary review).
Benefits of Internships at RedR:
If you are looking to work in charity communications or the humanitarian sector, an internship with RedR will provide a supportive, challenging environment that could help you launch your career:
- A chance to be a valued part of a well-regarded global humanitarian organisation
- A structured intern programme with ownership of specific projects/campaigns, and opportunities to work in areas of particular interest
- Full induction with all departments at RedR
- Support from the communications team in building a professional portfolio of work
- Participate in any career development initiatives for staff, if available.
- A free place on RedR’s ‘So You Think You Want To Be A Relief Worker?’ training course and/or another training course, if appropriate
- Training on the Salesforce database software, MailChimp, Survey Monkey and Web Content Management System
- Opportunities to get involved with RedR events such as running/cycling challenges or drinks/dinner receptions for supporters
- Expenses payment of up to £5 for lunch and £13 for travel each day
- Contribute content to the news section of RedR’s website, mailings, and print publications such as the Global Newsletter and RedAlert (bi-annual supporter magazine).
- Review news stories, reports and case studies produced by the Communications Coordinator and disseminate them via social media.
- Research and plan the expansion of online activities, including webinars, podcasts and videos.
- Support the Communications Coordinator and the Membership team in the production of content and material aiming to publicise our services (e.g. Membership, training) within the humanitarian community.
- Work with the Central Programmes and Country Programmes teams on updating and maintaining the database of key contacts.
Membership and Engagement:
- Co-organise and publicise live events such as RedR Member Speaker Series (‘RedTalks’).
- Use our database to identify Members, Affiliates and Trainers to engage in activities including events, trainings and consultancies.
- Respond to email enquiries including requests for jobs, funding, queries relating to training, RedR Membership and Affiliates schemes and from current Trainers, Members and Affiliates.
- Support the recruitment of new RedR Members and Affiliates through processing CV’s, applications and coordinating face-to-face and Skype interviews.
- Update, develop and maintain the contact database.
- Good, demonstrable written communication skills
- Experience of other online mediums, for example YouTube, podcast platforms, webinar platforms etc.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds
- An interest in humanitarian work; especially capacity-building
- Experience using MS Outlook and Word
- Good attention to detail, particularly in design and writing
- Confidence in initiating conversations and engaging with programme staff around the world, particularly using Skype
- Initiative, enthusiasm and a proactive, problem-solving approach to new challenges
- Some experience of using Mailchimp and Salesforce/other customer relationship management-based systems,
- Knowledge of and experience in, the humanitarian sector
Closing date for applications is the 23rd October 2018 at midnight. Interviews are to take place the week commencing the 29th October 2018 and the start date is early November 2018.
How to apply:
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter demonstrating your reasons for applying and suitability for the role to HR@redr.org.uk. Please feel free to include with your application any examples of written or design work. Click here to view the full job specification
Please note that we may contact suitable applicants before the closing date.
The successful candidate will be required to confirm that he/she has the right to live and work in the UK before the post can be taken up.
Please also note that due to limited resources, we will only be able to contact shortlisted applicants.