RedR And the Work we do
We’re a global humanitarian capacity-building NGO providing training, consultancy services and expertise to national and international NGOs working in disaster-prone countries. We work around the world, delivering capacity building programmes that are practical, up-to-date and delivered by experienced humanitarians. We train thousands of aid workers each year in everything from managing people and projects in emergencies, to personal and organisational security, from providing essential water and sanitation, to community-based disaster preparedness and more.
We focus on building the capacity of national and community organisations in countries affected by floods, earthquakes, conflict and drought. We also work in partnership with NGOs, governments and academic institutions to improve the effectiveness of humanitarian action and to build the technical capacity of the sector in response to urban emergencies.
Following a recent restructure, this is an exciting opportunity to develop and shape the future direction of the organisation. The Programmes Director will be a key member of RedR UK’s Senior Management Team (SMT) and will work closely with other SMT members to deliver RedR’s strategic ambition. You must be driven to achieve, able to inspire a team and collaborate and provide effective support to high performing programme managers and the wider programme team.
Along with the CEO and the rest of the SMT, you will be responsible for the following;
· Setting strategic direction and initiating new areas of work
· Ensuring that systems and processes are in place to manage work effectively and efficiently
· Developing existing programmes and programme staff through effective delegation and management
· Raising the restricted funding needed to sustain RedR’s services for the humanitarian community
· Support the raising of unrestricted funding
· Assuring excellent performance, quality and impact in the delivery of services against targets.
· Represent and be a spokesperson for RedR at various forums
The role requires extensive external networking and representation in order to build on RedR’s reputation, forge new relationships and alliances, influence policy and decision makers and identify opportunities for funding, diversification and growth. Internally, similar attributes are needed in facilitating cross- departmental collaboration, effective communication and information sharing and capacity building across the organisation.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Programmes Director also has a significant role in defining and influencing organisational strategy and contributing to the day to day strategic management of the organisation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic oversight and leadership
· As part of the Senior Management Team, be responsible for the overall strategic management of the organisation with particular attention to meeting the organisations strategic targets in new areas of programme development and service delivery.
· Oversee the start-up, transition and close down of any of RedR’s international programmes as required.
Programme planning and delivery
· Be responsible for programme strategies, budgets and annual operational plans.
· Input to and support the development of high quality, relevant and achievable project/programme proposals and ensuring that the organisation meets its donor reporting requirements.
· In collaboration with RedR staff, investigate new partnership and programme funding opportunities in line with the operational strategy.
Line management and programme support
· Line manage and provide support and mentoring as needed to your direct reports through regular monthly reporting.
· Ensure a systematic approach to staff appraisals, objective setting and professional development across the programmes department with clear links to operational plans and targets
· Work with global Security Manager and other staff to monitor overall security management of RedR programme staff and deployees.
Quality, learning and impact
· Oversee RedR’s global provision of a high and consistent standard of service delivery (training, learning, technical support, membership and consultancy)
· Oversee RedR’s work to capture, demonstrate and communicate its impact and value for money internally and externally through monthly M&E reports and collaboration on similar initiatives within the sector.
· Work to ensure that there are clear indicators of impact in relation to RedR’s programme activities and that they are aligned with the organisational strategy and emerging needs for the sector.
Representation and networking
· Represent the organisation at relevant humanitarian forums and work with the CEO, Fundraising and Programme Managers in developing networks, partnerships and donor relations across the sector and beyond
· Manage a process of regular and effective communication and reporting across RedR’s international programmes and between the Programmes Department and other RedR UK departments.
· Ensure a productive and smooth relationships with other RedRs.
Financial management responsibilities
· Ensure RedR meets income targets and maintains a comprehensive and up to date oversight of the financial position of the all operations within the Programmes Department.
· In collaboration with the CEO, compile the annual Programmes Department budget and ensure effective budget monitoring, review and adjustment procedures are in place.
· Maintain up to date oversight of expenditure against budget and compliance with financial reporting requirements.
· At least 5 years previous operational management experience in an international development or humanitarian context (field-based)
· Previous senior management experience from an international development or humanitarian organisation (may be HQ-based)
· Proven experience and competency in securing funding from donors, both in the UK and overseas
· Excellent leadership and people management skills, cross culturally and at a distance
· Experience of managing teams responsible for delivering high impact programmes.
· In-depth experience of high value relationship management and proven ability to develop and sustain strategic partnerships focused delivering with impact.
· A broad network of contacts among humanitarian NGOs, UN agencies, donors and other service providers within the humanitarian sector.
· Up to date knowledge of the humanitarian sector including funding trends and ability to ensure knowledge remains current.
· Strong financial management skills and proven skills in managing people
· Strategic thinking and ability to spot trends and opportunities.
· Ability to represent the organisation at a senior level and good networking skills.
· Good planning and organisational ability and ability to work with limited supervision and resources.
· Good change management skills
· Ability to develop and manage strong communication channels and methodologies between Head Office and Country Programmes.
· Fluent written and spoken English and excellent communication skills.
· Willingness and ability to travel to challenging international humanitarian programme areas, sometimes at short notice.
• Capacity building experience
• Background in Engineering
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
The closing date for this vacancy is 26th November 2019. However, applications will be reviewed daily and RedR reserves the right to close the vacancy early when we are in receipt of a sufficient number of applications.