About the Course
Based on the Core Humanitarian Competencies Framework, this 5-day, participatory, face-to-face training course offers a unique opportunity to share best humanitarian practice. Participants will gain a good working knowledge of SPHERE standards and humanitarian principles, project cycle management and risk analysis as well as practical, tangible skills in leadership in emergencies.
What does the course cover?
- Humanitarian leadership in emergencies: theoretical understanding of what a humanitarian emergency is, leadership concepts and behaviours as well as the chance to practice what you have learned.
- Knowledge of humanitarian contexts and the humanitarian response system, standards and principles and coordination.
- Humanitarian project cycle management: how it can enable and enhance humanitarian action
- An overview of the use of SPHERE and humanitarian principles and their importance when applied to delivering humanitarian action and the challenges faced
- Practice skills of engaging with communities and putting people at the center of our humanitarian response
- Understand how to identify and involve critical stakeholders and to map power and interest dimensions
- Knowledge of analysing and managing risk to improve design and management of humanitarian programs
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Analyse risks to improve design, management and long term impact of humanitarian programmes
- Use a mapping tool to identify and involve critical actors in humanitarian response
- Apply humanitarian principles to stages of a humanitarian response, and work through challenges
- Identify key themes of humanitarian leadership and practice and associated skills of decision-making
- Use tools and techniques to improve decision-making and problem solving skills in humanitarian contexts
- Organise programme support functions to deliver a response
Registration is from 0800h, with the course starting at 0830h and concluding by 1700h The day is broken up into four sessions, separated by a lunch break and coffee/ tea breaks in the morning and afternoon.
Participants will be actively encouraged to participate in classroom discussions and group work. The trainer will draw on both theoretical and practical knowledge in order to make the experience and learning applicable to the realities of the humanitarian sector.
Any questions? Check out our FAQs here and our T&Cs here.
If you have any questions about this course or require further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case of any complaints, please email email@example.com
RedR UK is committed to making sure everyone’s needs are met, including people of different genders, ages and disabilities. If you have any specific access requirements or learning needs RedR are committed to try and make reasonable adjustments to support your needs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +254 719 249 920 at any stage of the booking process to talk directly to RedR about your needs.