Humanitarian aid workers work in complex situations where they often face multifaceted dilemmas and where their work can have wide-ranging and sometimes unintended, impacts. Having a solid understanding of the humanitarian context is an essential part of operating as an aware and conscientious aid worker.
This course will discuss the concepts of humanitarianism, accountability, emergency, and the disaster risk management cycle and will give an overview of the international humanitarian law framework, including the Red Cross Code of Conduct and humanitarian standards. Participants will gain an understanding of the roles and interactions between different actors in a humanitarian response.
Through a variety of activities, including a simulation exercise, participants will learn how to apply humanitarian standards and principles in a practical way so their new knowledge is complemented with practical skills
WHAT DOES THE COURSE COVER?
- The humanitarian context
- Humanitarian laws, principles, codes and standards
- Impacts and dilemmas of humanitarian work
- Practical skills and application of humanitarian principles
- Cross-cutting concepts in humanitarianism
BY THE END OF THE COURSE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Understand the nature of humanitarian work and its impacts and dilemmas
- Explain different laws that apply to humanitarian contexts and outline the key ideas of each
- Describe principles, codes and standards which apply to humanitarian work and be able to apply them
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of different humanitarian actors
Registration is from 08:45, with the course starting at 09:00 and concluding by 17:30. The day is broken up into 4 sessions, separated by a lunch break and coffee/ tea breaks in the morning and afternoon.
Participants will be actively encouraged to participate in classroom discussions and group work. The trainer will draw on both theoretical and practical knowledge in order to make the experience and learning applicable to the realities of the humanitarian sector.
Who should attend?
This course is appropriate for any aid workers involved in humanitarian response who is willing and interested in learning more about the context in which they work and improving their awareness of international humanitarian frameworks. Staff at all levels of humanitarian organisations are welcome.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
The minimum age for this event is 16.
What's the refund policy?
- For bookings cancelled ten or more working days* before a course, applicants will be liable to pay 25% of the course fees. For the remaining amount, RedR can either refund 75% of the course fee OR 90% can be transferred to an alternative course.
- For bookings cancelled one to nine working days* before a course begins, applicants will be liable to pay 75% of the course fees. For the remaining amount, RedR can either refund 25% of the course fee OR 100% can be transferred to an alternative course.
- For bookings cancelled less than 24 hours before a course, or after a course has started, no refund or transfer of value will be provided.
- If the applicant chooses to transfer to another course and then cancels their booking a second time, neither a further transfer of value nor a refund will be offered.
- Please note that we are only able to cover our local bank charges and not the recipient’s bank charges when we make refunds.
- Refunds may take up to 30 days.
(*During Jordan normal working days, Sunday-Thursday and working hours 9am-5pm).
Any questions? Check out our FAQs here and our T&Cs here.
If you have any questions about this course or require further information, please contact email@example.com.
In case of any complaints, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
RedR UK is committed to making sure everyone’s needs are met, including people of different genders, ages and disabilities. If you have any specific access requirements or learning needs RedR are committed to try and make reasonable adjustments to support your needs, please email email@example.com or phone () at any stage of the booking process to talk directly to RedR about your needs.