ABOUT THE COURSE
The Humanitarian Staff Development courseborrows from the CONTEXT programme which is a humanitarian staff development initiative geared towards improving participants’ knowledge and skillsacross six Core Humanitarian Competency areas.This course is aimed at building humanitarian management and leadership of existing staff at a national level. Moreover, improve the quality and efficiency of emergency preparedness and response.
This training course is based on the Core Humanitarian Competencies Framework and provides high-quality participative capacity building that is contextually relevant. The course offers a unique opportunity to share best humanitarian practice and establishes a common, high quality learning experience for humanitarian staff.
- Humanitarian leadership in emergencies: what a humanitarian emergency is and leadership concepts and behaviours
- Knowledge of humanitarian contexts and the humanitarian response system, standards and principles
- Humanitarian project cycle management: how it can enable and enhance humanitarian action
- An overview of coordinating humanitarianresponses: the what, the why and the how
- Awareness of the content and practical application of the humanitarian imperative and core standards
- An overview of the use of SPHERE and humanitarian principles and their importance when applied to delivering humanitarian actionand the challenges faced
- Practice skills of engaging with communities and putting people at the center of our humanitarian response
- Practice practical leadership skills critical to the management of humanitarian action: decision making and prioritising, leading teams and increasing trust within the teams and how to access the views of the most vulnerable
- Understand what it takes to organise program support functions to facilitate effective delivery of humanitarian response and how to prioritise key program aspects
- Understand how to identify and involve critical stakeholders and to map power and interest dimensions
- Knowledge of analysing and managing risk to improve design and management of humanitarian programs
- A foundational knowledge and understanding of what happens in a humanitarian response and what informs approaches and strategies
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The management and Leadership course is suited for middle to senior management humanitarian staff at a national level who seek to further develop the application of Core Humanitarian Competencies to day-to-today
organisational tasks as well as make significant organisational changes.