Basic Event Summary
People are the key to any effective humanitarian response. Managing people can be difficult at the best of times, but during the chaos and stress of a complex humanitarian emergency, the ability to manage people is crucial for the success of any programme.
During this course, participants will have the opportunity to explore theories and practices of good management, and will learn how to employ different techniques of communication, negotiation, team building, and conflict management to develop a concrete set of management skills.
What does the course cover?
- Roles and responsibilities of managers and leaders
- Building and supporting a team
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Conflict management
- Leadership and motivation
- Performance management
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Describe the role of the manager in humanitarian programmes and what it takes to be an exceptional manager
- Demonstrate skills and attitudes needed to manage people effectively in emergencies
- Utilise techniques for building and leading teams and learn ways to gain greater commitment from their team
- Identify ways to motivate individuals and maximise their potential
- Improve team performance through effective coaching and feedback
- Demonstrate how to negotiate to achieve a WIN-WIN outcome and how to resolve conflict
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses in relation to managing in emergencies and draw up action points for further learning and development to improve their management style
Registration is from 8:45am, with the course starting at 9am and concluding by 5:30pm. Each day is broken up into four sessions, separated by a lunch break and coffee/ tea breaks in the morning and afternoon.
Participants will be actively encouraged to participate in classroom discussions and group work. The trainer will draw on both theoretical and practical knowledge in order to make the experience and learning applicable to the realities of the humanitarian sector.
Who should attend?
The course is geared at managers, team leaders and general aid workers who manage people in the humanitarian and international development sectors. It would also suit people with technical experience who want to vary or expand upon their people management skills. This training is appropriate for people who are already in, or want to move into, a management role and have some understanding or prior experience of managing individuals or teams.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
The minimum age for this event is 16.
What's the refund policy?
- For bookings cancelled ten or more working days* before a course, applicants will be liable to pay 25% of the course fees. For the remaining amount, RedR can either refund 75% of the course fee OR 90% can be transferred to an alternative course.
- For bookings cancelled one to nine working days* before a course begins, applicants will be liable to pay 75% of the course fees. For the remaining amount, RedR can either refund 25% of the course fee OR 100% can be transferred to an alternative course.
- For bookings cancelled less than 24 hours before a course, or after a course has started, no refund or transfer of value will be provided.
- If the applicant chooses to transfer to another course and then cancels their booking a second time, neither a further transfer of value nor a refund will be offered.
- Please note that we are only able to cover our local bank charges and not the recipient’s bank charges when we make refunds.
- Refunds may take up to 30 days.
(*During Jordan normal working days, Sunday-Thursday and working hours 9am-5pm).
Any questions? Check out our FAQs here and our T&Cs here.
If you have any questions about this course or require further information, please contact email@example.com.
In case of any complaints, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
RedR UK is committed to making sure everyone’s needs are met, including people of different genders, ages and disabilities. If you have any specific access requirements or learning needs RedR are committed to try and make reasonable adjustments to support your needs, please email email@example.com or phone () at any stage of the booking process to talk directly to RedR about your needs.