Develop your structural engineering skills to assess damage and make informed decisions on whether to repair or dismantle damaged buildings
Develop your structural engineering skills to assess damage and make informed decisions on whether to repair or dismantle a damaged building.
RedR UK is offering a free of charge, innovative, high-quality online training course aiming to provide structural engineers in Iraq and Syria the tools, skills and knowledge to better assess damages and make informed decisions on whether to repair or dismantle a building or seek expert advice.
Through a blended learning approach, participants will cover simple tools for structural assessment, adequate structural detailing and related quality control. This course is six weeks, composed of six live sessions, with individual and group work assigned between each session. In total, participants will be expected to spend about 5 hours per week on this training.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the difference between earthquake and blast loading and the critical design considerations for each
- Determine the fundamental behaviour of a structural system and how will load transfer throughout the structure.
- Determine the types of failure that can occur in a local element and how to visually identify them on site.
- Describe the methods of structural analysis for the purpose of performance based design.
- Determine the most suitable retrofit approach for different structural defects locally or globally.
- Describe good construction practice for a retrofit or repair for resilient structure.
The programme will run between the 6th of November 2022 and the 18th of December 2022. Each week of the 6-week training programme consists of offline work for participants to engage with, before joining a live, practical seminar which will happen every Sunday afternoon (14:00 - 16:00 Saudi Arabia Time). However, you will be able to access the online e-learning platform as early as the 6th of November.
Below you can see the exact schedule:
Moodle opens on 6th November for welcome week
Week 1 live session: 13th November
Week 2 live session: 20th November
Week 3 live session: 27th November
Week 4 live session: 4th December
Week 5 live session: 11th December
Week 6 live session:18th December
Places on the module are extremely limited so a short selection process will be running. Participants will be selected based on the following criteria:
• Participants must have access to a stable internet connection and are able to actively participate in all facilitated sessions
• Participants must be comfortable discussing and learning in English language of instruction
• Participants must be structural engineers working in the assessment and repair of structures in Syria and Iraq
• Participants must have solid existing knowledge of structural engineering fundamentals (e.g., load paths and transfer mechanisms), design of RC multistory buildings, frames and masonry structures, and structural dynamics
• Participants must have practical skills and experience in detailing, construction, seismic design and analysis background for RC structures, as well as quality control of building construction materials
We will also be ensuring a balance of participants from Iraq, and from Syria, and ensuring a balance of genders.
For this module, RedR UK is also offering HPass Badging. An HPass badge is a digital indicator of achievement, and a way for participants to demonstrate their skills and experience. More information on HPass Badging can be found here: https://hpass.org/hpass-for-individuals/.
Participants will be able to redeem a badge through a link sent after the module.
RedR UK is committed to making sure everyone’s needs are met, including people of different genders, ages and disabilities. If you have any specific access requirements or learning needs RedR are committed to try and make reasonable adjustments to support your needs, please email email@example.com at any stage of the booking process to talk directly to RedR about your needs.
RedR UK’s Structural Engineering Programme is implemented in partnership with Ramboll UK, and is kindly funded by the Ramboll Foundation.