Conduct quality needs assessments to inform response efforts in emergencies.
Rapid needs assessment in an emergency setting can give insights and understanding about a range of factors that affect behaviors related to the emergency and about how to best support the population to reduce their vulnerability to risk.
Dedicating even just a few days to a needs assessment is important to obtain information about how households and communities perceive a potential or existing emergency, what they know and do about it, what barriers and facilitators exist to the adoption of protective behaviors, and how cultural and social dynamics influence them. Equipped with this knowledge, program managers and field implementers can develop targeted interventions to support the success of all response efforts.
This 5-day course will help participants develop the competencies needed to perform and evaluate rapid needs assessments in humanitarian and development contexts. Through active and participatory learning, this course aims to equip participants with a solid understanding of appropriate need assessment principles and tools, as well as the ability to apply these tools in practice.
What does the course cover?
- Objectives of the needs assessment.
- Terms of reference.
- Planning assessment activities.
- Information collation and report writing.
- Data collection techniques .
- Analytical frameworks, impact, and relevance.
- Data collection methodologies and analytical frameworks that are most appropriate to each sector.
- Links between sectors.
- Sector-specific benchmarks, especially Sphere Standards.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Design and plan an effective needs assessment employing tools appropriate for the approach .
- Analyse assessment data to effectively report on beneficiaries’ needs and capacities .
- Analyse cross-cutting and sector-specific issues that impact emergency needs assessments .
- Demonstrate an understanding of the humanitarian context and underlying principles .
- Describe the importance of using a participatory approach throughout the assessment cycle .
- Demonstrate an understanding of the key skills, personal attributes, and competencies required by an emergency needs assessor .
This is a 5-day face-to-face training. Registration is from 8.30 am, with the course starting at 9.00 am and concluding by 5.30 pm. The day is broken up into four sessions, separated by a lunch break and coffee/ tea breaks in the morning and afternoon.
Participants will be actively encouraged to participate in classroom discussions and group work. The trainer will draw on both theoretical and practical knowledge in order to make the experience and learning applicable to the realities of the humanitarian sector.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, RedR UK will adhere to all safety rules and procedures as per the relevant government and ministry guidance.
- Early Bird tickets (20% Discount) are available for the first 10 participants who register and complete payment 1 month before the course starts. Once the early tickets run out, or after the 1 month deadline expires, then the standard fees will automatically apply.
- Standard Organisation rate (800$) is for any staff working for international organizations.
- NNGO or CBO rate (600$) is for any staff working for local organizations and community-based organizations.
- Group Booking is for organizations looking to book 3 or more participants onto the same course. Please email RedR UK for discount options.
- Individual or student rates can apply upon request.
Please email email@example.com for more information.
*Disclaimer: Upon registering for this course, you will be liable to pay the full course fee through PayPal, a credit card, or a bank transfer. RedR UK reserves the right to cancel your place on the course if the payment is not received at least three weeks before the training is due to start.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be eligible to apply for an HPass Badge, a digital indicator of achievement, and a way for participants to demonstrate their skills and experience in the humanitarian sector. You can find more information on HPass Badges here.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at people with some experience in working in the humanitarian or development sectors. It would be most beneficial for aid workers who undertake needs assessments in their work or who foresee having to conduct needs assessments in the future.
What is the language of the course?
What's the refund policy?
- For bookings canceled ten or more working days* before a course, applicants will be entitled to a refund of 75% of the course fees paid, or if places are available will be offered a transfer of 90% of the course fees paid onto the next course.
- For bookings canceled one to nine working days* before a course begins, 25% of the course fees paid will be refunded.
- For bookings canceled less than 24 hours before a course, or after a course has started, no refund or transfer of value will be provided.
- If the applicant chooses to transfer to another course and then cancels their booking a second time, neither a further transfer of value nor a refund will be offered.
Please note that we are only able to cover our local bank charges and not the recipient’s bank charges when we make refunds.
Refunds may take up to 30 days.
(*During Jordan office's working hours, Sunday-Thursday 9.00 am - 5.00 pm)
Please check the FAQ document and our Terms and Conditions.
If you have any questions about this course or require further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case of any complaints, please email email@example.com
RedR UK is committed to making sure everyone’s needs are met, including people of different genders, ages, and disabilities. If you have any specific access requirements or learning needs RedR UK is committed to trying and making reasonable adjustments to support your needs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +962 (0) 6 462 6227 at any stage of the booking process to talk directly to RedR UK about your needs.
Fidelity scheme: Have you participated in one of RedR UK’s courses in the last 2 years? If so, you are eligible for an additional 10% discount! Please contact email@example.com to request your promo code for registration.
Local organizations: RedR UK offers special discount rates for staff funded by local organizations in low and lower-middle-income countries. These participants can register by purchasing the Standard Individual ticket.
Scholarships: RedR UK is committed to making our courses accessible to any organisation, regardless of size. We offer course scholarships for eligible participants who meet specific criteria. For more information on RedR UK Scholarships and how to apply, please click here.